Comhaltas is a cultural movement concerned with the promotion and preservation of the music, dance and language of Ireland. Founded in 1951, it’s a non profit organisation with over 30,000 members worldwide. It runs classes, sessions, organises concerts and competitions, has an archive collection of Irish music and publishes books, recordings and tutors.
The goals of Comaltas are:
– To promote Irish Traditional Music in all its forms;
– To restore the playing of the Harp and Uilleann Pipes in the National life of Ireland;
– To promote Irish Traditional Dancing;
– To foster and promote Traditional singing in both Irish and English;
– To foster and promote the Irish language at all times;
– To create a closer bond among all lovers of Irish music;
– To co-operate with all bodies working for the restoration or Irish Culture;
– To establish Branches throughout the country and abroad to achieve the foregoing aims and objects.